Re: pg_xlog -> pg_xjournal? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joel Jacobson
Subject Re: pg_xlog -> pg_xjournal?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 10:17 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> If we symlink pg_xlog, then it will still trip up anyone who does "rm
> -rf *log*/*" or deletes files directly from inside the directory, both
> of which I've seen.  Deleting the directory itself is comparatively rare
> in my experience.  So for this do to any good, we'd have to plan to
> (eventally, at least) get rid of the symlinks.  Do links work the same
> on Windows, btw?

Hm, I don't agree the symlink version wouldn't do *any* good.

I think it's a good step since it solves the rm -rf pg_xlog problem,
and it solves the problem if a sysadmin uses /usr/bin/du to
find large directories suitable for deletion, as it won't show
symlinks.

> Also ... if we were to rename it, it should be "pg_wal" or "pg_xact".
> Please let's not add yet another term for the WAL.

+1