Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> But it is a valid point that we'd need to build up more extension API
> tests before we start cutting back significantly on the
> maybe-example-maybe-real extensions that we ship in contrib.  We need to
> find a good middle ground.

Nowadays we can test concurrent behavior with isolationtester, and we
can test APIs with src/test/modules.  We can now easily add tests for
lots of stuff that we don't currently test, without having modules that
actually produce for-install programs or libraries.

In any case, +1 on moving useful extensions to src/extensions/.  I just
read somewhere (not this thread?) that Debian for their 9.5 packaging is
going to get rid of the postgresql-contrib package, and instead they are
going to ship all that stuff in the main package.  Seems they were
prompted to do this because of our inaction in this area ...