Re: looking for old rpm - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John McKown
Subject Re: looking for old rpm
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
On 9/21/2015 12:31 AM, Etienne Champetier wrote:
I'm looking for old postgres rpm, like
postgresql93-server-9.3.6-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64.rpm

(one of our software is "certified" with this minor version ...)

I cringe when I see requirements like this.     did they also 'certify' this applicaiton to only run on whatever was the day's snapshot build of the OS, such that any newer security updates and bug fixes can't be applied to RHEL 6 ?

​We have a few products like that here. One of our Windows servers is "stabilized" in that it cannot be patched or upgraded because a single piece of critical software is running on it which is not only certified only on that particular release / patch, but actually fails on more up to date servers. In addition, it is "abandon-ware"​ in that that original company is defunct. Oh, and it cannot be replaced because that part of the business is being eliminated, so this is only for "historical" clients, who will be gone by the end of this year. At least, in that, we do have a hard time limit and then the software / machine will be junked.

The above may be why, at least historically, businesses have like Windows. With Windows there is "one true way". _Their_ way. I would say more, but that would become too political.

specific to 9.3.6, you'd be missing out on the fixes ...
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-9-3-7.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-9-3-8.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-9-3-9.html