Re: Why we don't have checksums on clog files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Why we don't have checksums on clog files
Date
Re: Why we don't have checksums on clog files  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Alex Ignatov <a.ignatov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
Hello!

Why we don't have checksums on clog files.

We have checksum on pg_control, optional checksumming on data files, some form of checksumming on wal's. But why we don't have any checksumming on clogs. Corruptions on clogs lead to transaction visisbility problems and database consistency violation.

Can anybody explain this situation with clogs?

I think it will be better if users can have an option to checksum clog pages.  However, I think that will need a change in page (CLOG-page) format which might not be a trivial work to accomplish.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.