nice'ing the postgres COPY backend process to make pg_dumps run more "softly" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Aleksey Tsalolikhin
Subject nice'ing the postgres COPY backend process to make pg_dumps run more "softly"
Date
Re: nice'ing the postgres COPY backend process to make pg_dumps run more "softly"  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
List pgsql-general
Hi.  When pg_dump runs, our application becomes inoperative (too
slow).  I was going to ask if nice'ing the postgres backend process
that handles the COPY would help but I just realized probably the
pg_dump takes out locks when it runs and nice'ing it would just make
it run longer...

However the man page says "pg_dump does not block other users
accessing the database  (readers  or writers)."  But if we run a
pg_dump, the phone starts ringing, users are complaining that the web
app is not working.

Would appreciate some pointer to help me reconcile these two
apparently contradictory facts.

Best,
-at