Re: Future In-Core Replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Future In-Core Replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> So the idea is that you'll present briefly your intentions for 9.3 at
>> the developer meeting, and then have this in-depth afterwards?  Sounds
>> great.
>
> I really, really do not want the developer meeting to turn into a
> series of presentations.  That's what we had last year, and it was
> boring and unproductive.  Furthermore, it excludes from the
> conversation everyone who doesn't fit into a room in Ottawa.  I think
> that plans should be presented here, on pgsql-hackers, and the
> developer meeting should be reserved for discussion of issues with
> which everyone who will be there is already familiar.  If a
> presentation is required, the developer meeting is the wrong forum,
> IMHO of course.

I agree.

Obviously, the word presentation is the issue here. If one person
speaks and everybody else is silent that is not a good use of
anybody's time.

On any topic, I expect the introducer of that topic to set the scene,
establish the major questions and encourage discussion.

I would follow that form myself: I want to hear the wisdom of others
and alter my plans accordingly.