Re: [9.3 doc fix] clarification of Solaris versions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [9.3 doc fix] clarification of Solaris versions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM, MauMau <maumau307@gmail.com> wrote:
> One of my colleagues, who is relatively new to PostgreSQL, asked me if
> PostgreSQL supports Solaris 11.  The reason why he had this question is that
> the following page says "Solaris 10" instead of "Solaris 10 and later".
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/kernel-resources.html
>
> So, I suggest this tiny modification to avoid misunderstanding.  In
> addition, I suggest removing references to OpenSolaris because OpenSolaris
> is already discontinued.
>
> I'm attaching one patch file.  Could you commit this change?

Just because OpenSolaris is discontinued doesn't mean we don't support
it.  It looks like it has been unsupported for ~3 years at this point
- not sure if that is long enough to remove the documentation
reference.

The patch looks otherwise sensible, but I note that we don't actually
have any Buildfarm members running Solaris > 10.  So do we know for
sure that everything works there?  Should we try to get one set up
before claiming we support the platform?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company