Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> * Logical Replication
>> * Native Table Partitioning
>> * Improved Query Parallelism
>> * Quorum Commit for Synchronous Replication
>> * SCRAM-SHA-256 strong authentication
>>
>> Any objection to me updating the docs to say that now, subject to
>> further discussion?
>
> I would argue that Traceable commit is just as interesting as Quorum Commit
> (and likely applies to a larger audience). I would also argue that
> SCRAM-SHA-256 isn't as "big feature" as we would like it to be as we have
> supported strong authentication through external mechanisms for a very long
> time.
>
> Other than that, I have no comments and yes we should update the page.

I think SCRAM authentication is a major feature.  I would argue for
adding Andres's executor speedups and Amit's hash index work, too, but
I realize we can't list everything.  I'm slightly surprised that
quorum commit for synchronous replication ended up ahead of either of
those; surely that's a pretty niche feature compared to making the
executor faster?  But I just work here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company