Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >> * Logical Replication
> >> * Native Table Partitioning
> >> * Improved Query Parallelism
> >> * Quorum Commit for Synchronous Replication
> >> * SCRAM-SHA-256 strong authentication
> >>
> >> Any objection to me updating the docs to say that now, subject to
> >> further discussion?
> >
> > I would argue that Traceable commit is just as interesting as Quorum Commit
> > (and likely applies to a larger audience). I would also argue that
> > SCRAM-SHA-256 isn't as "big feature" as we would like it to be as we have
> > supported strong authentication through external mechanisms for a very long
> > time.
> >
> > Other than that, I have no comments and yes we should update the page.
>
> I think SCRAM authentication is a major feature.  I would argue for
> adding Andres's executor speedups and Amit's hash index work, too, but
> I realize we can't list everything.  I'm slightly surprised that
> quorum commit for synchronous replication ended up ahead of either of
> those; surely that's a pretty niche feature compared to making the
> executor faster?  But I just work here.

I definitely think SCRAM is a major feature and it'll impact a large
portion of our userbase too.  Hash indexes seems like a bigger feature
than quorum commit for sync rep to me too.  Performance improvements
seems a bit more difficult to justify as a 'new major feature' to me.
Traceable commit is definitely interesting, but I don't see it as
anywhere near the level of SCRAM or Quorum commit.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment