Re: [HACKERS] Adding support for Default partition in partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Adding support for Default partition in partitioning
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Adding support for Default partition in partitioning  ("Sven R. Kunze" <srkunze@mail.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze@mail.de> wrote:
> You are definitely right. Changing it here would require to change it
> everywhere AND thus to loose syntax parity with Oracle.

Right.

> I am not in a position to judge this properly whether this would be a huge
> problem. Personally, I don't have an issue with that. But don't count me as
> most important opion on this.

Well, I don't think it would be a HUGE problem, but I think the fact
that Amit chose to implement this with syntax similar to that of
Oracle is probably not a coincidence, but rather a goal, and I think
the readability problem that you're worrying about is really pretty
minor.  I think most people aren't going to subpartition their default
partition, and I think those who do will probably find the syntax
clear enough anyway.   So I don't favor changing it.  Now, if there's
an outcry of support for your position then I'll stand aside but I
don't anticipate that.

>> So I guess I'm still in favor of the CREATE TABLE p1 PARTITION OF test
>> DEFAULT syntax, but if it ends up being AS DEFAULT instead, I can live
>> with that.
>
> Is to make it optional an option?

Optional keywords may not be the root of ALL evil, but they're pretty
evil.  See my posting earlier on this same thread on this topic:

http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoZGHgd3vKZvyQ1Qx3e0L3n=voxY57mz9TTncVET-aLK2A@mail.gmail.com

The issues here are more or less the same.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company