Re: The purpose of the core team - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: The purpose of the core team
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> This is crap. I am on the packagers list. Core always asks what people think
> and no it is not always accepted. There have been many times that the
> release has been pushed off because of resources available or new
> information being provided. There have also been plenty of well worn FOSS
> arguments on that list to make sure that everything is done in a mature,
> reliable and professional way.

I think I've gotten sucked into arguing about something I don't really
want to argue about.  I agree that -core is always very polite when
they asked on -packagers, and that -core would probably move the
release date if subscribers to -packagers asked them so to do.  I also
do not dispute Dave's statement that PostgreSQL's packagers are very
committed.  That is certainly true.  From what I can see they bend
over backwards to get the job done, which is great.

Now, I cannot personally recall, nor find in my email archives, an
occasion on which -packagers asked for the release date to be moved.
But you or others may be able to, and that is fine, but it's not what
I'm unhappy about.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company