Re: LSN as a recovery target - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: LSN as a recovery target
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Adrien Nayrat <adrien.nayrat@dalibo.com> wrote:
>> As Julien said, there is nothing to notice that error comes from
>> recovery.conf.
>> My fear would be that an user encounters an error like this. Il will be
>> difficult to link to the recovery.conf.
>
> Thinking a bit wider than that, we may want to know such context for
> normal GUC parameters as well, and that's not the case now. Perhaps
> there is actually a reason why that's not done for GUCs, but it seems
> that it would be useful there as well. That would give another reason
> to move all that under the GUC umbrella.

Maybe so, but that's been tried multiple times without success.  If
you think an error context is useful here, and I bet it is, I'd say
just add it and be done with it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company