Re: New SQL counter statistics view (pg_stat_sql) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: New SQL counter statistics view (pg_stat_sql)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I'm inclined to suggest you forget this approach and propose a single
> counter for "SQL commands executed", which avoids all of the above
> definitional problems.  People who need more detail than that are
> probably best advised to look to contrib/pg_stat_statements, anyway.

I disagree.  I think SQL commands executed, lumping absolutely
everything together, really isn't much use.  Haribabu's categorization
scheme seems to need some work, but the idea of categorizing
statements by type and counting executions per type seems very
reasonable.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company