Re: Improving our clauseless-join heuristics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Improving our clauseless-join heuristics
Date
Re: Improving our clauseless-join heuristics  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I looked into the behavior complained of here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2012-04/msg00093.php
>
> The problem query can be abstracted to
>
>        select * from a, b, c, d
>        where a.x = b.y and (a.z = c.c or a.z = d.d)
>
> Table a is much larger than the others (in fact, in the given example
> c and d are known to be single rows), and there are indexes on the
> mentioned columns of a.  In this situation, the best plan is to
> cross-join c and d, then use a BitmapOr indexscan to pick out the rows
> of a that satisfy the OR condition, and finally join that small number
> of rows to b.  The planner will use a cross-join-first plan if we omit
> b and the first WHERE clause from the query; but in the query as given,
> it fails to discover that plan and falls back on a vastly inferior plan
> that involves forming the a/b join first.
>
> The reason for this behavior is the anti-clauseless-join heuristics in
> join_search_one_level().  Without b, there are no join clauses available
> at join level 2, so the planner is forced to form all three 2-way cross
> joins; and then at level 3 it finds out that joining a to c/d works
> well.  With b, we find the a/b join has a usable join clause so we form
> that join, and then we decide not to make any 2-way clauseless joins.
> So the c/d join is never constructed and there is no way to exploit the
> desirable indexscan at higher levels.
>
> After some reflection I think that the blame should be pinned on
> have_relevant_joinclause(), which is essentially defined as "is there
> any join clause that can be evaluated at the join of these two
> relations?".  I think it would work better to define it as "is there any
> join clause that both these relations participate in?".  In the majority
> of real-world queries, join clauses relate exactly two relations, so
> that these two definitions are equivalent.  However, when we do have
> join clauses involving 3 or more relations, such as the OR clause in
> this example, it's evidently useful to consider cross-product joins of
> the smaller relations so that the join clause can be applied during the
> scan of the largest table.
>
> It would probably not be a good idea to back-patch such a change, since
> it might have consequences I can't foresee at the moment.  But I'm
> strongly tempted to squeeze it into 9.2.  Thoughts?

I think it's getting a little late in the day to be whacking the
planner around too much, but I have to admit that seems like a pretty
good and safe change to me, so maybe we should go ahead and do it.
I'm a bit worried, though, that with all the planner changes this
release we are going to spend a lot of time tracking down regressions
either in planning time or in plan quality.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company