Re: Index Corruption - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dylan Adams
Subject Re: Index Corruption
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you sure you aren't having either server or RAID problems of some
> kind?  Single bit memory errors or bad sectors not getting remapped
> before corrupting data etc? Have you torture tested your hardware to
> ensure it's rock solid stable?  Dell's insistence on using non
> buffered memory has cause me untold problems with single bit errors in
> the past.  I don't know if they still use unbuffered memory in their
> servers or not as I gave up on Dell three or four years ago for
> servers and support.

Current servers (R710s) use DDR3 - Synchronous Registered (Buffered) ECC memory.

We don't think there's anything wrong with the hardware, as the
problem has persisted across various physical servers (the R710s
replaced 2950s). We also don't have any other intermittent issues
(postgres crashes, application server crashes, etc) that would
indicate random bit errors.

Thanks,
dylan