Re: Let's get the OpenSCG packages listed on download - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Let's get the OpenSCG packages listed on download
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 03:15:17PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> My first question was directed at you, as you made the assertion: Why
>> are these packages clearly more transparent and following the Open
>> Source way than the EDB packages?
>>
>> - It's not clear they are Open Source.
>>
>> - If you try to download, you get hit with a "Register Here" page, far
>                                                 -------------
>> more in your face than I think the EDB installers have ever had (they
>> did have once, but it was off to one side - and is long gone
>                                                   ------------
>> nowadays).
>   --------
>
> Oh no it's not!
>
> The pages we link to from the postgresql.org website to download the EDB
> installers starts on first access with a popup with this text:
>
>         Register for Free
>
>             Learn from community leaders
>             Download free white papers
>             Watch free webcasts
>             Hear about PostgreSQL news
>
>         Register For Free
>
> You have to close the popup to access the downloads.  There is also a
> request at the top to allow browser cookies for this site, which will
> prevent the popup from appearing in the future.
>
> You can reproduce this by going to our download page (e.g.
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/) from a private browser that
> has no history of what pages you have visited (e.g. Firefox "New Private
> Window") and clicking on "Download".
>
> Is this acceptable?  How long has it been this way?
>
> The page that appears after the download seems fine as it has a survey.

The register popup is not supposed to be present on that page (and
when it was first added, it wasn't - I checked myself).

EDB Webteam, please fix this *immediately*.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company