Re: Let's get the OpenSCG packages listed on download - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Let's get the OpenSCG packages listed on download
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 03:15:17PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> My first question was directed at you, as you made the assertion: Why
> are these packages clearly more transparent and following the Open
> Source way than the EDB packages?
>
> - It's not clear they are Open Source.
>
> - If you try to download, you get hit with a "Register Here" page, far
-------------
> more in your face than I think the EDB installers have ever had (they
> did have once, but it was off to one side - and is long gone
------------
> nowadays). --------

Oh no it's not!

The pages we link to from the postgresql.org website to download the EDB
installers starts on first access with a popup with this text:
       Register for Free
           Learn from community leaders           Download free white papers           Watch free webcasts
Hearabout PostgreSQL news

       Register For Free

You have to close the popup to access the downloads.  There is also a
request at the top to allow browser cookies for this site, which will
prevent the popup from appearing in the future.

You can reproduce this by going to our download page (e.g.
http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/) from a private browser that
has no history of what pages you have visited (e.g. Firefox "New Private
Window") and clicking on "Download".

Is this acceptable?  How long has it been this way?

The page that appears after the download seems fine as it has a survey.

http://enterprisedb.com