Re: Lack of activity indicator over slow connections (pgadmin4) - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Lack of activity indicator over slow connections (pgadmin4)
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Surinder Kumar
<surinder.kumar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Surinder Kumar
>> <surinder.kumar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Dave/Ashesh
>> >
>> > The thing we can do is:
>> > 1) We can display loading message same as other panels if returned
>> > response
>> > is taking longer than 2 seconds, otherwise we won't display any
>> > message(to
>> > avoid fluctuations).
>> > Screenshot - demo_message.png
>>
>> There's a typo there (laoded)..
>>
>> > 2) Display a loading spinner along with panel title while data is being
>> > loaded.
>> > Screenshot - spinner.png
>>
>> I don't see a spinner there at all.
>
> sorry its not spinner, its reload spinning icon in place of properties icon.

Oh, I see. I like it, but wonder if it would be too subtle.

Can we do both? Show the panel, and spin a loading icon on the tab?

>> What about the other places I mentioned?
>

>> - On dialogue open and OK

> isplay loading message
> in dialog till the data loads and on OK we can set mouse pointer to
> 'progress' till the data is not processed.

Yes, they are essentially panels too, so we can do the same as for
Properties and Statistics etc.

> - On Wizard steps
> isplay loading message
> also in wizard pages till it doesn't loads data.

Yes.

> - Possibly in the debugger, when stepping?
>
> In case of debugger's step into, step out & resume, we can set mouse pointer
> to 'progress'

OK.

Can you work up a patch ASAP please?

Thanks!