Re: New archives for testing - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: New archives for testing
Date
List pgsql-www

On Sunday, December 30, 2012, Tom Lane wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> The prompt isn't shown on all browsers, so we should stick it on the
>> website somewhere too.

> Ugh, that's annoying.

> Do you think we can get away without putting it next to every single
> link? Because I'm not sure how we can do that without making it look
> like crap. But if we don't, are people likely to ever read it?

How big a problem is this?  When I checked, both Safari and Firefox
showed the prompt.  If there are just a few little-used browsers that
fail to show it, I'm not convinced that we have to clutter the pages
for everybody to cater to them.  I can think of more than a few other
sites where that prompt is pretty damn essential for usability, so
I would argue that a browser that doesn't show it is broken anyhow.

I don't think it was originally intended as a prompt (it's the security realm actually), but most browsers showed it anyway and it's been (ab)used that way for years. FYI, the browser I saw not displaying it was Safari on iOS, so most definitely not 'little used'.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company