Re: Stop pgpass.conf EOL conversion - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Stop pgpass.conf EOL conversion
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Daniel Browning <db@kavod.com> wrote:
> On Friday 05 September 2014 12:38:26 pm Dave Page wrote:
>> pgAdmin writes that file whenever a user successfully logs into a server
>> with a new password for the first time, and opts to save it.
>
> Ah, that probably explains what happened to me. I had all my passwords already
> setup in pgpass, and every time I connected to a new server, pgAdmin would ask
> me for a password, which of course I left blank because it was already in
> pgpass. After a while of repeatedly hitting enter on the same password dialog
> box, I finally clicked the save password checkbox (with a blank password), and
> it stopped asking me.
>
> So maybe the pgAdmin might just stop updating the pgpass file when a user is
> trying to "save" a blank password?

I'd have to spend some time to remind myself of the logic around how
this works again exactly (which isn't going to be for a while I doubt,
so you may want to look into it), however, I do remember that it only
saves on successful connection to the server, so it should always have
a useful entry in there.

>>  If the user then edits the file in notepad (maybe to add new details for a
>>  server to use from psql), they'll run into problems.
>
> I'm fine with pgAdmin converting to Windows EOLs if the user changes or saves
> passwords in pgAdmin. But it seems like there's a place for users who just
> want pgAdmin to read the passwords, not change them or rewrite the file for no
> reason except to change the EOL chars.

Well one option would be to have a global option to prevent saving of
passwords at all. That would solve the issue - and they would still be
used if present in the file.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com