Re: Stop pgpass.conf EOL conversion - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Daniel Browning
Subject Re: Stop pgpass.conf EOL conversion
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Friday 05 September 2014 12:38:26 pm Dave Page wrote:
> pgAdmin writes that file whenever a user successfully logs into a server
> with a new password for the first time, and opts to save it.

Ah, that probably explains what happened to me. I had all my passwords already
setup in pgpass, and every time I connected to a new server, pgAdmin would ask
me for a password, which of course I left blank because it was already in
pgpass. After a while of repeatedly hitting enter on the same password dialog
box, I finally clicked the save password checkbox (with a blank password), and
it stopped asking me.

So maybe the pgAdmin might just stop updating the pgpass file when a user is
trying to "save" a blank password?

>  If the user then edits the file in notepad (maybe to add new details for a
>  server to use from psql), they'll run into problems.

I'm fine with pgAdmin converting to Windows EOLs if the user changes or saves
passwords in pgAdmin. But it seems like there's a place for users who just
want pgAdmin to read the passwords, not change them or rewrite the file for no
reason except to change the EOL chars.

--
DB