Re: Let's Do the CoC Right - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerome Wagner
Subject Re: Let's Do the CoC Right
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I do not intervene much on the list and am not an english native speaker, but here are some thoughts :

It seems to me that it is very hard to find good words (which should find their way in other languages) to summarize what is a decent conduct in an open source project.

Don't we all (or at least peaceful people) want to have a decent conduct, respectful of others, be it in open source projets, in conferences, or in life in general ?

Are we not going to end up with some sort of "human rights declaration" ? which by the way is already translated in many languages here - http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Pages/SearchByLang.aspx

I am not saying that the declaration of human rights is perfect (I should re-read it) but are we going to write something better on this thread ? Shouldn't we better use all that energy to modify the declaration of human rights if there is an obvious problem with it ?

What is the goal of this ? reject people who have sub-par conduct ? have some kind of legal way to ban them from the project ? Is this like a "constitution" for the project ?

Anyone can participate in an open source project. Communication and human interactions, even hidden behind a computer screen, are key to this.

We should maybe try and fix things without needing to write complicated things to say that one's person freedom ends where another's begin.

I understand that some people sometimes feel rejected or blamed or hurt by writings or acts that are innapropriate to them or innapropriate in general.

If they can speak out, a healthy community will help them sort and maybe fix the problem.
If they cannot speak out, then maybe there needs to be someone in the community who has this "I am all ears and happy to try and protect everyone's freedom" attitude so that this person can try and sort things out anonymously.

I am maybe too naïve and put too much trust in the good sides of human nature, but I hope this helps in some way.

Jérôme