Re: SATA RAID: Promise vs. 3ware - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: SATA RAID: Promise vs. 3ware
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 20-Mar-07, at 9:23 AM, Ireneusz Pluta wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I sent a similar post to a FreeBSD group, but thought I'd might try
> here too.
>
> I am completing a box for PostgreSQL server on FreeBSD. Selecting a
> RAID controller I decided to go with 3ware SE9650-16, following
> good opinions about 3ware controllers found on FreeBSD and
> PostgreSQL groups.
>
> However my dealer suggest me not to go with 3ware, and take Promise
> SuperTrak EX16350, instead. This suggestion does not have any
> technical background and it comes generally from the fact of
> limited availability of 16x 3ware controllers on the local market
> and immediate availability of Promise.
>
> Is this technically a good idea to take Promise instead of 3ware or
> rather I definitely should insist on 3ware and wait for it?

The reality is that most dealers have no idea what is "good" for a
database application. It is likely that this card is better for him
somehow ( more margin, easier to get, etc.)

I'd stick with 3ware, areca, or lsi. And even then I'd check it when
I got it to make sure it lived up to it's reputation.
Dave