Re: SATA RAID: Promise vs. 3ware - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: SATA RAID: Promise vs. 3ware
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 20-Mar-07, at 1:53 PM, Benjamin Arai wrote:

> This is a little biased but I would stay away from areca only
> because they have fans on the card.  At some point down the line
> that card is going to die.  When it does there is really no telling
> what it will do to your data.  I personally use 3Ware cards, they
> work well but I have had one die before (1/10).

Well, they are also the only one of the bunch that I am aware of that
will sell you 1G of cache. Plus if you use battery backup sooner or
later you have to replace the batteries. I use areca  all the time
and I've never had a fan die, but I admit it is a point of failure.

Dave