Comparing arrays of composite types - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Comparing arrays of composite types
Date
Re: Comparing arrays of composite types
List pgsql-general
Hello all,

I'm running into a small problem (while comparing tokenised unit
strings in case you're interested) with said topic.

I defined a type:
CREATE TYPE unit_token AS (
    base_unit    TEXT,
    unit_base    INT
);

In my table I have:
CREATE TABLE unit (
    unit    TEXT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
    tokens    unit_token[] NOT NULL
);

If I try to join on tokens or try to create an index over that column
I get: "ERROR:  could not identify a comparison function for type
unit_token".

I can compare columns of type unit_token (not the array) just fine,
and even joining on tokens[1] works as expected - and not just for
equality but also less-than (didn't test the remainder, I assume they
work).

I have created operators on unit_token for =, <, <=, > and >=, but
either I did something wrong defining my operators or the error is
pointing to some other problem.

I noticed casting both sides to text works just fine, but I'd prefer
to do this 'properly' if possible. Any pointers as to what is going
wrong here?

One other thing of note is that the error doesn't appear to be about a
missing comparison operator for unit_token, but rather for unit_token[].

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is the correct approach to attaching something to the
ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4a8eee7b10131407718702!