Postgres does not start, gives no error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Akhtar Yasmin-B05532
Subject Postgres does not start, gives no error
Date
Re: Postgres does not start, gives no error
List pgsql-general
HI,

I am facing this peciliar problem.I am using postgres 7.2.2 installed on solaris.
It has been running very well since all the time, until somebody tried to stop it. Using the command

Now it does not start.
On giving the start command its says:

/home/data/www/pg7/bin/pg_ctl: 5432: not found
postmaster successfully started

But when i check the status, it says postmaster is not running.

Also, if I try to stop it, i get the expected error:

pg_ctl: cannot find /home/data/www/pg7/data/postmaster.pid
Is postmaster running?

I have realised that when I give the start command, even though the msg is successfully started, the postmaster.pid file is not created..

Am i missing something.?
Any help will be appreciated.