Re: Shopping cart - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrus
Subject Re: Shopping cart
Date
List pgsql-general
> I'm not sure / have not used either. Magento seems to use Zend_Db as the
> database abstraction so it seems like a matter of porting the schema.
> Ubercart does look simpler, go whatever you find more interesting or
> faster
> to do.

This is interesting.
If it better to modify Magento or Zend Cart (which seems to be more
powerful) by adding  PostgreSQL support or modify Ubercart which has already
PostgreSql support?
There was Google summer of code project proposal in this year of adding
Magento modules to Drupal but I havent found any information about its
results.

> If there's no time constraints, I'd do as someone mentioned and build it
> yourself. Open source or even commercial e-commerce solutions tend to get
> very complicated in trying to be 'flexible'.

I'm a programmer. Yes, I can create great application code.
Building shopping cart requires web design skills to create nice layout.
I do'nt have design skills. I can create ugly-looking cart  application.

So it seems better to me to get some ready layout so that only program logic
can replaced.

How to use some other layout template with PostgreSQL to create nice cart ?

> Displaying products and adding to a shopping cart is not much work, but
> the
> product *management* and analytics / reporting will eat your time.

Cart application must write order to existing database.
There are existing reports which take order data from this database.
So I'm mostly interested on creating nice layout.

Andrus.