Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kym Farnik
Subject Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi - We use various SQL DBMSs including Postgres.
The choice of DBMS depends on customer needs.  RD
are an Online Application Development company.

We have positioned Postgres for the 'entry level'
customer.   This is a little misleading as some
of those customers have quite large databases.

By comparision our Govt accounts use Oracle (it's the
DBMS of choice for the South Australian Govt).
Some of our larger customers also use Oracle.
One customer in the advertising/image processing
industry has a projected storage requirement of
6 peta bytes.  They are using Oracle on Solaris. :-)

On the other hand our CMS product uses Postgres as
do companies like Ballon Aloft (www.balloonaloft.com.au)

To quote our markting stuff...

Introduction
------------
Recall Design use PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org) as a Database
Management System (DBMS) for web application projects.   PostgreSQL is a
free, open source DBMS product.   This article discusses the advantages of
using PostgreSQL over commercial databases such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL
Server.

Recall Design use Oracle for large and/or multi-server applications.
Commercial DBMSs, such as Oracle, are used where specific features, such as
Spatial, are required.   We design our systems so that customers have the
option of migrating their DBMS from PostgreSQL to a commercial DBMS such as
Oracle.   This allows customers to start low-cost with the option to expand
as required.

...  More stuff from the Postgres site follows (with GNU legals)

Regards, Kym Farnik (mailto:kym@recalldesign.com)
-- Recall Design     http://www.recalldesign.com
53 Gilbert Street Adelaide South Australia 5000
Direct: (61-8) 8217 0556
Fax:    (61-8) 8217 0555
Mobile: 0438 014 007
"Recall Design was recognised nationally in 2001, as the 11th fastest
growing company in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 awards. Founded in SA in
1991, Recall Design delivers world class internet based applications and
business to business eCommerce solutions to a wide variety of companies in
the Asia Pacific region."