Query "top 10 and others" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject Query "top 10 and others"
Date
List pgsql-general
I would like to construct a query, to be used in graphics (Pie Chart, to be more precise), and to avoid having 500 slices, I would like to make a query that returns the top ten, and then all the rest summed.

I know I can do it by using some repetition, like:

a) Assume "places" table with population with structure

create table places (
  id as integer primary key,
  country as varchar(3),
  state as varchar(50),
  city as varchar(50),
  population integer
)

b) There are not so many records in table (my country have ~5500 cities, and 27 states), and initially, there will be only 1 country.

with QRY as (select C1.country, C1.state, sum(C1.population)
  from places C1
  group by 1, 2
   order by 3 DESC
  limit 10)

select * from QRY
union
select 'others' as "country", '' as "state", sum(population)
  from places
 where not exists (select 1 from QRY where country = QRY.country and state = QRY.state)

Can I simplify the query by using some sort of window function or other PostgreSQL feature I don't know yet?

Thanks,

Edson Richter