RE: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amonson, Paul D
Subject RE: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Hmm, I wonder if the "(c) 2024 Intel" line is going to bring us trouble.
> (I bet it's not really necessary anyway.)

Our lawyer agrees, copyright is covered by the "PostgreSQL Global Development Group" copyright line as a contributor.

> And this bit doesn't look good.  The LICENSE file says:
> > //    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
> > // copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
> > disclaimer // in the documentation and/or other materials provided
> > with the // distribution.
> The second clause essentially says we would have to add a page to our
> "documentation and/or other materials" with the contents of the license file.

According to one of Intel’s lawyers, 55 instances of this clause was found when they searched in the PostgreSQL
repository.Therefore, I assume that this obligation has either been satisfied or determined not to apply, given that
thesecond BSD clause already appears in the PostgreSQL source tree. I might have misunderstood the concern, but the
lawyerbelieves this is a non-issue. Could you please provide more clarifying details about the concern?

Thanks,
Paul

Attachment