RE: PG11.2 - wal_level =minimal max_wal_senders = 0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Ralph
Subject RE: PG11.2 - wal_level =minimal max_wal_senders = 0
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you Luca,
Can I ask one more related question, I have no need for replication as noted below, can I safely disable the worker
processvia the setting below? In my sandbox it does turn off the logical replication launcher, I just wanted to be sure
Iam not affecting anything other than replication with this setting.

max_logical_replication_workers = 0     # taken from max_worker_processes
                                        # (change requires restart)

Jason Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 12:16 PM
To: Jason Ralph <jralph@affinitysolutions.com>
Cc: pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org
Subject: Re: PG11.2 - wal_level =minimal max_wal_senders = 0

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 5:15 PM Jason Ralph <jralph@affinitysolutions.com> wrote:
> The question I have is, for a production database not doing replication, can I safely set the following parameters, I
understandthat minimal will also disable wal_archiving so I am concerned about that as well.

> wal_level = minimal
>
> max_wal_senders = 0
>

> I have been looking at the documentation and I guess I am looking for a yes this is ok, I figured it’s on by default
fora reason so I was hesitant to change it.

I don't see why you should not set them as you described.
The idea is that the overhead of having replica over minimal is today enough "low" in contrast to the need for
replication(e.g., backup tools like pgbackrest).

Luca
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
addresseeyou should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if
youhave received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteedto be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or
incomplete,or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the
contentsof this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a
hard-copyversion.