backup and restore questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sally Sally
Subject backup and restore questions
Date
Re: backup and restore questions  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Re: backup and restore questions  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-general
I had a few questions concerning the backup/restore process for pg.

1) Is it possible to dump data onto an existing database that contains data (assumning the schema of both are the
same).Has anyone done this? I am thinking of this in order to expediate the data load process

2) I read that when dumping and restoring data the insert option is safer but slower than copy? Does anyone know from
experiencehow much slower (especially for a database containing millions of records).

3) can pg_restore accept a file that is not archived like a zipped file or plain text file (file.gz or file)

4) Is the general practise to have one whole dump of a database or several separate dumps (by table etc...)?

Thanks a lot
Sally Take off on a romantic weekend or a family adventure to these great U.S. locations.