Re: PGXN Hosting - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PGXN Hosting
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 20:15, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> On May 11, 2011, at 11:10 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> Yuck.
>>
>> That is a big no-no on any reasonable hosting platform. That will kill
>> all monitoring and management of patches, etc.
>>
>> It really won't work with a standard perl? How much work to make it so?
>
> If there is a Perl 5.12 package, I'm sure it will work. I will probably need some CPAN modules not yet packaged,
though.

There isn't. The question wasn't clear enough - how much work would it
take to make it run on the standard version of perl on debian squeeze,
which is 5.10?

And I assume you have a list of the CPAN modules somewhere :-) I'm
sure we can work that out.

>> We do have a general policy that all services should use our community
>> login system. Is there a particular reason this one shouldn't? If not,
>> I'd much like to see that happen at the time something is moved into
>> the infrastructure - for consistencys sake.
>
> I'm happy to integrate with the community login system. It's just a simple matter of programming. :-) Is there now an
APIfor it?

Yeah, it's trivial - connect to a PostgreSQL server with specified
credentials, and run SELECT community_login().

Since you're a perl guy,
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgcommitfest.git;a=summary is
probably a good reference implementation.

>> Ok, should be easy enough to host on one of the machines we have available.
>>
>> Is there any of this software that is *not* available as packages in
>> standard debian? (which I assume would be the same as ubuntu for
>> these). Any such things makes it a big PITA from the management
>> systems side, since you'll have to write monitors and stuff
>> manually...
>
> I'm sure there are CPAN modules that are not packages. Also at least one PostgreSQL 9.0 extension (semver). As long
asthere's a Perl 5.12 package, I think we'll manage fine.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/