Re: PGXN Hosting - Mailing list pgsql-www

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: PGXN Hosting
Date
List pgsql-www
On May 11, 2011, at 11:10 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Yuck.
>
> That is a big no-no on any reasonable hosting platform. That will kill
> all monitoring and management of patches, etc.
>
> It really won't work with a standard perl? How much work to make it so?

If there is a Perl 5.12 package, I'm sure it will work. I will probably need some CPAN modules not yet packaged,
though.

> We do have a general policy that all services should use our community
> login system. Is there a particular reason this one shouldn't? If not,
> I'd much like to see that happen at the time something is moved into
> the infrastructure - for consistencys sake.

I'm happy to integrate with the community login system. It's just a simple matter of programming. :-) Is there now an
APIfor it?

> Ok, should be easy enough to host on one of the machines we have available.
>
> Is there any of this software that is *not* available as packages in
> standard debian? (which I assume would be the same as ubuntu for
> these). Any such things makes it a big PITA from the management
> systems side, since you'll have to write monitors and stuff
> manually...

I'm sure there are CPAN modules that are not packages. Also at least one PostgreSQL 9.0 extension (semver). As long as
there'sa Perl 5.12 package, I think we'll manage fine.

> Other than that; I don't see anything on your requirements that shouldn't work.

Great!

>> Long term, I think it will make sense to split these tasks up into two boxes, but for now, just one modest box ought
todo the trick.

> Yeah, splitting the tasks clearly apart as you have done is a good way
> to be able to do that later - but by what you'r esaying here it
> certainly doesn't sound like it needs to be done from the start.

Yep, exactly.

Best,

David