Re: Why not install pgstattuple by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Why not install pgstattuple by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 00:34, Josh Berkus <josh.berkus@pgexperts.com> wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> I've run into a couple of occasions lately where I really wanted
> pgstattuple on a production server in order to check table/index bloat.
>  However, in the production environment at a large site installing a
> contrib module can involve a process which takes days or weeks.

That can be said for a lot of things in contrib. pg_standby in 8.4 for
example. Or adminpack. Or dblink. Or hstore. There's a mix of "example
stuff" and "actually pretty darn useful in production stuff". I'm sure
you can find a couple of hundred emails in the archives on this very
topic.

From 9.1, it'll be a simple CREATE EXTENSION command - so much of the
problem goes away. Well. It doesn't go away, but it gets a lot more
neatly swept under the rug.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/