Why not install pgstattuple by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Why not install pgstattuple by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hackers,

I've run into a couple of occasions lately where I really wanted
pgstattuple on a production server in order to check table/index bloat.However, in the production environment at a
largesite installing a

contrib module can involve a process which takes days or weeks.

Is there some reason why the stattuple functions aren't just available
as core functions?  Are they unsafe somehow?

--
-- Josh Berkus
Josh Berkus                       PostgreSQL Experts Inc.