Re: pg_listener in 9.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: pg_listener in 9.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>
>> The whole point of the revamp was that pg_listener was a major performance
>> bottleneck and needed to go, and without it being gone we would not have got
>> notification payloads.
>
> Yeah, I know why it was replaced. That doesn't mean we cannot provide
> an alternative interface to the same info though (other things might
> of course).
>
>> I suspect you're pretty much out of luck.
>
> Not me - our users.

Note that in Slony 2.1, there's a table called sl_components, which is
used to capture the state of the various database connections,
checking in as the various threads do their various actions.

Also, slon and slonik try to report their respective application, so
it can be reported on pg_stat_activity.