Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> wrote:
> On 05/24/2011 09:08 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>> That's not a good idea, as a) they won't point to the new projects
>
> Uh.. why not?  After six months, that should be doable.

For a start, because GForge doesn't let you put arbitrary links on the
project pages, and secondly because even if it did, there would be an
extremely high probability that some project authors would forget or
not bother to do so.

>> and b) will become steadily more out of date.
>
> I like out-of-date pages better than unavailable ones.  Especially if
> they clearly state they clearly state that they are unmaintained and
> point to the new location.

There are hundreds of projects (the majority probably dead) on
pgFoundry. *we* simply do not have the resources to ensure they all
point to whereever the the projects may move to and ensure all the
data on the site is accurate.

Besides, leaving the site up there doesn't actually solve the issue
that there are probably a ton of security issues in its code, that
would likely still be there even if we did disable all logins.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company