Re: Adding an example for replication configuration to pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Adding an example for replication configuration to pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:53, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> > Looks good to me.
>> >
>> > As I mentioned offlist, I'd like it in teal please.
>>
>> Applied with some further minor bikeshedding (remove trailing spaces,
>> rewrap so columns aren't wider than 80 chars, etc)
>
> Let me just point out that people who have already run initdb during
> beta will not see this in their pg_hba.conf, nor in their
> share/pg_hba.conf.sample, even after they have upgraded to a later beta,
> unless they run initdb.  However, we have bumped the catalog version for
> something else so they should then get this change.

Why would they not see it in their share/pg_hba.conf.sample?

It will not affect the existing one in $PGDATA, but why wouldn't the
installed .sample change?

> My point is if we change configuration files and then don't bump the
> catalog version, the share/*.sample files get out of sync with the files
> in /data, which can be kind of confusing.

They would - but what you are saying above is that they would not get
out of sync, because the share/*.sample also don't update. Just a
mistake in what you said above, or am I missing something?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/