Re: seq scan in the case of max() on the primary key column - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: seq scan in the case of max() on the primary key column
Date
Re: seq scan in the case of max() on the primary key column  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Shaun Thomas <sthomas@peak6.com> wrote:
> On 06/22/2011 04:55 AM, Marti Raudsepp wrote:
>
>> With Jim Nasby's idea to use regclass instead of relation names, the
>> function is now half its length and probably more reliable. There's no
>> need to touch pg_class directly at all.
>
> Sadly until we upgrade to EDB 9.0, I have to use my function. :) EDB 8.3
> (which is really PostgreSQL 8.2) doesn't have a regclass->text conversion.
> But I'll bookmark the wiki page anyway, so I can update my function after
> upgrading. Heh.

Given that many folks still run < 9.0 in production, the wiki page
should really have a version of that function for older versions,
whether it's long or not.