Re: Incoming/Sent traffic data - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca
Subject Re: Incoming/Sent traffic data
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Well, I'm suspicious too. :)

The logs that I pasted in the previous mail was with debug5, but you mean the client driver itself? I'll give a look.

About the wireshark itself, in the link that I pasted, I put 2 screenshots about the measure, at a gross look at it, You can easily tell that the packages are somewhat different.

The java hava a lot of /D/D/D/D

Maybe it's about this:

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/protocol-error-fields.html

2011/5/13 Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com>
On 13 May 2011 16:38, Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca <israel.bgf@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 too. I just asked because its common to get shot at mailists after a
>> little of 'off-topic'.
>
> Well afters tons of tests, using my brand new Wireshark skills (thanks
> Maciek), and I got a very strange result (even stranger than before):
>
> I created a new database for the tests, 1 'Person' table, 2 columns (id,
> name), 7000++ registers.
>
> The traffic difference was:
>
> Java     220861 Bytes
> Python 29014 Bytes

Well, your next step should be compare the two wireshark captures and
see what's being done differently in the two cases.
You can run the JDBC driver with loglevel=2 and it'll tell you what it
is doing, too. But really, if what you care about is what's on the
network, then wireshark is the right tool for that job.

I would be suspicious of your Python measurements, FWIW. 29kB for 7k
rows implies you're only receiving ~4 bytes per row, which seems far
too low.

Oliver