Re: Restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Pawley
Subject Re: Restore
Date
List pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2010 7:17 PM
To: Bob Pawley
Cc: Scott Marlowe ; bricklen ; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Restore

On 12/24/2010 07:09 PM, Bob Pawley wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Scott Marlowe
> Sent: Friday, December 24, 2010 6:49 PM
> To: Bob Pawley
> Cc: bricklen ; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Restore
>
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Scott Marlowe
>> Sent: Friday, December 24, 2010 6:23 PM
>> To: Bob Pawley
>> Cc: bricklen ; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Restore
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> When I type psql I am asked for a password. When I attempt to enter a
>>> password the cursor doesn't move.
>>
>> It's not supposed to, so don't worry about that.
>> How exactly are you running psql? Can you show us what you typed in?
>>
>>> When I click enter I get failed password for - my computer name.
>>
>> Hmmm. Again, please copy and paste exactly what it says.
>>
>>> When I type psql \I - I get the same as above.
>>
>> Yeah, until you can log in psql \l isn't going to work. Once you can
>> log in it should work.
>>
>> So, yeah. cut and paste your psql session first, k?
>>
>> Is this what you meant by psql session??
>
> No, that's the pgsql log, which is also quite useful. So, when you
> bring up a command prompt and type in psql -U bob wwwdb or something
> like that and it says something about a password failure, that's the
> stuff I'd like you to cut and paste. The accompanying postgresql like
> this one here would be useful too.

Lets stick with on thing. For now use the following:

psql -d PDW -U postgres -h localhost

At this point it is important to be clear on what password you are using
for the postgres user. As I posted before it should be the one you used
when filling out the Server properties in PgAdmin. Is that the case?
We will worry about loading the file once we have figured out what it
takes to connect.

There is only one password that I entered during the installation and I used
the same password to connect PG Admin.

Bob
--
Adrian Klaver