Re: [pgsql-www] language-specific wiki main pages - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] language-specific wiki main pages
Date
List pgsql-www
On 29 Dec 2016, at 21:43, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Michael Goldberg wrote:
>> I created the following page (the content mostly in Hebrew): https://wiki.
>> postgresql.org/wiki/Hebrew
>> Can you please check if the link to this page could be added to the wiki
>> main page
>
> It's a bit different in spirit to other language-specific wiki pages:
> most of the others (except for Russian IIRC) mostly contain pointers to
> other wiki pages, so they are all about documenting Postgres at the
> technical level.  Your Hebrew page, like the Russian page, contains
> links to Facebook, Meetup, Linkedin, etc.
>
> I am not sure language-specific wiki pages are supposed to be advocacy
> items (where the social network stuff is good to have) or documentation
> only.  I leaned towards the latter initially but later had second
> thoughts, and perhaps using the wiki as advocacy material is fine.  What
> do others think?  Maybe we shouldn't be policying the wiki too much.  In
> that case, I would probably be adding pointers to Spanish advocacy
> materials in the Spanish wiki page too.  Notice that the English pages
> do *not* do that.  Would that pollute the wiki?
>
> On the other hand, we do have a place in the main www site for PUGs,
> including meetup.com links etc, so perhaps that kind of stuff just
> doesn't belong into the wiki.

Hmmm, they're putting time and effort into improving PG stuff, and it's
all on-topic.

Let's not be control-freaky about it.  Let them go for it.  They may
do a super fantastic job of it, and get more people involved. :)

If it turns out to have a non-great result, we can always circle back
and move stuff to a PUG area.

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi