Re: Add PostgreSQL home page to --help output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Add PostgreSQL home page to --help output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 19 Mar 2020, at 22:32, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> bOn Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 09:10:25PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> Actually, I prefer:
>>>
>>>     Report bugs  mailto:pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org
>>>     PostgreSQL website  https://www.postgresql.org/
>>
>> Hmm, pasting mailto into the browser address bar doesn't work for me ...
>> it just goes to the lists.postgresql.org website (Brave) or sits there
>> doing nothing (Firefox).  I was excited there for a minute.
>>
>> If we're talking personal preference, I like the current output.
>
> Well, in Firefox it knows to use Thunderbird to send email because under
> Firefox's Preferences/General/Applications, 'mailto' is set to "Use
> Thunderbird", though it can be set to other applications.  If no one
> likes my changes, I guess we will just stick with what we have.

I don't think mailto: URLs is a battle we can win, pasting it into Safari for
example yields this error message:

    "This website has been blocked from automatically composing an email."

It also assumes that users will paste the bugreport email into something that
parses URLs and not straight into the "To:" field of their email client.  I'm
not sure that assumption holds.

cheers ./daniel