Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Jun 18, 2017, at 10:58 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 05:30:44PM +0000, Martin Mueller wrote:
>
>> Thank for this very helpful answer, which can be
>> implemented for less than $100. For somebody who started
>> working a 128k Mac in the eighties, it is mindboggling that
>> for that amount you can buy a terabyte of storage in a device
>> that you put in a coat pocket. I'll read up on rsync
>
> I seem to remember that for this to work the two machines
> must be *very* close in architecture, and the PostgreSQL
> versions best be exactly the same.

If the two machines have the same architecture you can also just
have the data directory (or the whole postgresql installation) installed
on an external drive and run it from there.

Plug it in, start postgresql, use it.Shut down postgresql, unplug it.

I've been running from an external drive for years with no problems,
but backing it up regularly to the machines you plug it into (with
pg_dump) is probably a good idea.

I have the entire postgresql installation on the external drive, and
have /Volumes/whatever/pgsql/bin early in my path, so if the drive
is plugged in pg_ctl, psql etc go to the installation on the external
drive.

With one of the little samsung usb3 SSDs it'll fit in your pocket.

Cheers,
  Steve