Re: EnterpriseDB - what happens to pgsql? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Denis Lussier
Subject Re: EnterpriseDB - what happens to pgsql?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
My few cents are as follows:

- EnterpriseDB is certainly trying our best to be good Postgres community citizens.

- The Postgres community is incredibly rich and diverse.  It's getting ever stronger and momentum is gaining for the worlds most advanced open source database.  We're proud to be a part of this massive collaborative effort that is bigger than any individual, company, country, or continent.

- I don't think it's wise to ponder the community moving in a "MySQL" direction where one company controls the community.  This is certainly NOT EDB's intention (and we always stress it to anyone who suggests otherwise).

- There are many, many, many people and companies who are NOT attracted to Oracle compatibility features and are going to always download and use the core version of Postgres.  This is the beauty of the ever friendly & flexible BSD license.

- We are trying to provide an increasing amount of functionality that helps free Oracle (and other proprietary DB vendors) customers from vendor lock-in and exhorbitant pricing.   Can this be a bad thing??

--Denis Lussier
   Chief Architect and Chairman