Re: [HACKERS] MySQL to PostgreSQL for SugarCRM - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Denis Lussier
Subject Re: [HACKERS] MySQL to PostgreSQL for SugarCRM
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi Mitch,

I spoke with the SugarCRM folks pretty extensively at OSCON and they are VERY interested in having their product run on Postgres (especially if the "community" does the work for them and then continues to want to support and test on PostgreSQL).  They told me they've had a bunch of customers ask for it as their first preference.

I'll be at LinuxWorld next week also and hope to meet you.  EDB is going live with our general availability product (based on PG 8.0.3) on the opening day of the show.  Also, we're hosting the Postgres community within our booth.

--Denis Lussier
  Chief Architect & Chairman

PS  I'm really psyched to learn about Mambo CMS.  I need a content management system for EDB's website as we fill it out and go multi-lingual and ...

From: pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org on behalf of Mitch Pirtle
Sent: Fri 8/5/2005 5:06 PM
To: pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [HACKERS] MySQL to PostgreSQL for SugarCRM

On 8/5/05, Denis Lussier <denis@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> I'm currently most interested in getting SugarCRM working natively on
> Postgres. Does anybody know a good CRM package that is BSD all the way
> through??  It is great that there are many CRM packages that already support
> the worlds most advanced open source database.
>
> I am sure that SugarCRM is wildly popular these days as an
> "enterprise-class" open source alternative AND that it is presently only
> officially supported on MySQL.   I believe that Postgres and/or EDB-Postgres
> ought to be the database of choice for all SugarCRM customers who love their
> data.

SugarCRM is derived from the Mambo CMS, and we've just ported it to
using ADOdb for database abstraction. Gosh it feels good to finally
say it!  :-D

Anywhoo, depending on how early SugarCRM forked from Mambo, we
introduced a database class in the 4.5.x series that makes it somewhat
straightforward to implement for other databases. I have no idea what
SugarCRM has done in this regard, or if they have taken any efforts to
consolidate their SQL statements into a class for easier migration.

Would be interested in hearing from SugarCRM about their plans in this
regard, and will hunt them down next week at LinuxWorld in SFO.

--
Mitch Pirtle
Mambo Core Developer