[General] Problems upgrading from v6.4.2 to v7.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fetter, David M
Subject [General] Problems upgrading from v6.4.2 to v7.0.2
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm having some issues upgrading our production postgresql, which is at
version 6.4.2, to version 7.0.2.  Here's what is happening...

I configure and make the new version of postgres (this is being done on a
separate system from the production for testing purposes).  On the
production system I do a pg_dumpall to extract all of our current running
databases.  I then ftp the outfile to the test system and perform the import
function as specific in the INSTALL file.  After doing this I have a little
dilemma right off the start.  I have two databases that are duplicated but
owned by separate users.  One database is just a production one which is
owned by postgres and the duplicate owned by the correct user as it lists on
the production system.  The other database that is duplicated is template1.
This, I think, poses more of an issue.  The first template1 db is owned by
postgres and the second is owned by the correct owner for the other
duplicated db.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

List of Databases
Database     | Owner
-------------------------
inv        | mgdotson
inventory    | rssouthw
ir        | mgdotson
lpdb        | lpadmin
passwd    | mgdotson
sys_request    | postgres        <--wrong, doesn't exist in
production db
sys_request | sys_request    <--correct
template1    | postgres        <--correct
template1    | sys_request    <--wrong, doesn't exist in production db
tivoli    | mgdotson

For the record the exact commands I'm using to export and import this
database are:

pg_dumpall > db.out             <--on 6.4.2 production postgres
psql -d template1 -f db.out        <--on 7.0.2 test postgres

Does anybody know why this is happening and more importantly how to get it
not to happen?  Also, I'm sure you may have noticed that some of the
databases are owned by regular user accounts (i.e. mgdotson and rssouthw).
How would I change the ownerships of these databases and tables to different
generic users, given that the generic users are already created?  I would
like to do this with the upgrade process as well.

Thank you,
David M. Fetter
UNIX System Analyst
Emery World Wide

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our
humanity." - Albert Einstein

Attachment