Re: [General] Problems upgrading from v6.4.2 to v7.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [General] Problems upgrading from v6.4.2 to v7.0.2
Date
List pgsql-general
"Fetter, David M" <Fetter.David@emeryworld.com> writes:
> Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

> List of Databases
> Database     | Owner
> -------------------------
> inv        | mgdotson
> inventory    | rssouthw
> ir        | mgdotson
> lpdb        | lpadmin
> passwd    | mgdotson
> sys_request    | postgres        <--wrong, doesn't exist in
> production db
> sys_request | sys_request    <--correct
> template1    | postgres        <--correct
> template1    | sys_request    <--wrong, doesn't exist in production db
> tivoli    | mgdotson

> For the record the exact commands I'm using to export and import this
> database are:

> pg_dumpall > db.out             <--on 6.4.2 production postgres
> psql -d template1 -f db.out        <--on 7.0.2 test postgres

Pretty bizarre.  Have you looked at the dump file to see whether the
fault is wrong output from 6.4.2, or 7.0 doing the wrong thing?

My guess is that the pg_dumpall shell script is getting confused;
it's a pretty simplistic script (particularly as far back as 6.4)
and used to have a number of bugs for off-the-beaten-track cases.
I think it may still fall over if you have a space in a database
name, for example.

            regards, tom lane