installation issues with postgresql 7.3.2 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Wilkinson, Graeme
Subject installation issues with postgresql 7.3.2
Date
List pgsql-novice
G'day
Having some trouble getting postgresql 7.3.2 running on windows 2000
I'm following the postgresql-7.3.2.readme from the doc/cygwin directory.
I've downloaded cygwin with the modules
  crypt 1.0-1
  cygipc 1.13-2
  cygwin 1.3.16-1
  gcc 3.2-3
  libncurses6 5.2-8
  libreadline5 4.2a-1
  perl 5.8.0-1
  readline 4.2a-1
  zlib 1.1.3-6
  postgres 7.3.2

I've run ipc-daemon as a service and this is running.

When I run
  initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
I get the message
  /usr/bin/postgres: not found
  /usr/bin/postgres: not found
  /usr/bin/postgres: not found
  The program
    '/usr/bin/postgres'
  needed by initdb does not belong to PostgreSQL version 7.3.2, or
  there may be a configuration problem.

I've uninstalled postgres and reinstalled it, I've searched the faq on
initdb and not found any thing useful,
any idea what I've done wrong?

The /usr/share/postgresql dir is there but no data dir is present I assume
it gets created by the script.
/usr/bin/ is empty.
postgres.exe is in the cygwin/bin directory

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Graeme Wilkinson (MCSE, CNE, B.Bus)
NSM & Messaging Operations Management SA
EDS Australia    Phone:    08 8464 1462
108 North Terrace    Fax:    08 8464 2135
Adelaide SA 5000    Mobile:    0411 445 812
mailto:graeme.wilkinson@eds.com